Permit (City)

The following is a brief overview of commercial-related permitting within the City.

For more information, visit the Building/Permits Department page or contact 301-600-3808.

Construction Workers in a Building

Certificate of Occupancy Required Prior to the Occupation of Any Structure

  • If entering a space without doing any construction/renovation work (i.e. electric or plumbing), access an application for the Zoning Permit (PDF) (and Certificate of Occupancy).
  • If you are doing construction/renovation work, the Certificate of Occupancy will be triggered by your application for building permits.

Construction/Renovation Work


Wastewater Pretreatment Program

Food-industry Permits

  • Sidewalk Café (PDF) - Sidewalk cafes are allowed in city commercial districts, including Downtown Frederick. There are regulations for both enclosed and open outdoor seating areas in the City’s Code. An enclosed seating area requires a permit. Outdoor service of alcohol also requires Frederick County Liquor Board approval.
  • Restaurant with Entertainment Approval (PDF) - Restaurants that plan to have live music and other entertainment must first obtain approval for entertainment from the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA).
  • Vendors/Peddlers – Mobile vendors (including Food Trucks) are permitted to operate in the City, in designated areas. Contact our department to request a map of these areas. Breweries and distilleries may also apply to Food Trucks to operate on their private premises.

Special Event Permits

  • Large Event (PDF) –For an event held outside on private property that is anticipated to have 2,000 or more individuals in attendance at a time (Submit 90 days prior to event)
  • Non-Large (PDF) – For special events held outside on private property with less than 2,000 in attendance (submit 45 days prior to event)

One Stop Shop

Same day permitting is available on Tuesdays from 8 to 11 a.m. for the following projects:

  • Basement finish
  • Commercial fit-outs under 5,000 square feet with no change in use
  • Decks
  • Demolition (accessory structures with no utilities)
  • Fences
  • Garage/carports
  • Pools/hot tubs/spas
  • Re-roofing
  • Residential interior renovation
  • Residential paving (pavers, concrete asphalt)
  • retaining walls under 5 feet high
  • Sheds
  • Signs
  • Temporary trailers
  • Zoning application

If located in the Historic Preservation District, applicants must provide 2 copies of the HPC Certificate of Approval and all supporting documentation in order to be eligible for the One Stop Shop.

For more information, visit the Building/Permits Department page or contact 301-600-3808.