City program offers residents the opportunity to drop off their Christmas trees for recycling now through January 31, 2020.
The City of Frederick Live Christmas Tree Drop Off and Recycling program began on December 26, 2019 and will continue through January 31, 2020. The drop off points will be:
- Harry Grove Stadium lower parking lot
- Husky Park Yard 2 on Highland Street
- Tasker's Chance parking lot on Key Parkway behind Westridge Shopping Center
- Max Kehne parking lot on West 7th Street
Each park will have a drop-off area designated by a sign. All trees should be free of all ornaments, garland, tinsel, lights, and/or tree stands. Please remove any plastic bags from the trees.
As part of The City of Frederick's recycling efforts, Christmas trees are collected annually and ground into mulch. This effort has many beneficial results and also conserves space in the landfill.
Mulch is good for:
- Soil temperature moderation
- Moisture/water retention
- Reduction of competition (weeds)
- Recycling of nutrients through decomposition
- Conserves City funds through a reduction of purchased mulch
Questions can be directed to the Parks Department at 301-600-1173 or Department of Public Works at 301-600-1440.