The City of Frederick is excited to announce that all City-managed outdoor swimming pools (Edward P. Thomas, Jr. and William R. Diggs) will open this summer.
The William R. Diggs Memorial Swimming Pool (Mullinix Park, 125 W. All Saints Street) will open to City residents on Saturday, May 29, 2021. Pre-registration through the City’s registration system, WebTrac, will be required during the Pre-Season to reserve a spot during the two-hour swim sessions. Reservations will be limited to City residents. Last summer, the Diggs Pool opened in mid-July and successfully served City families with restricted capacity through Labor Day.
The Edward P. Thomas, Jr. Memorial Swimming Pool (Baker Park, 500 Fleming Avenue) will open for the Summer Season in mid-June. The exact operating details are still to be determined and will be announced as they become finalized. The Thomas Pool remained closed in 2020, like many local pools, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The hours of operation at each pool will be determined in phases. Pre-Season begins Memorial Day Saturday through the last day of FCPS schooling, currently slated for June 17th. The summer season will begin once school is out through the first day of FCPS school in mid-August. Pools will remain open on a post-season schedule mid-August through Labor Day weekend.
Operations at both facilities will be in line with all CDC, state, county, and city guidelines pertaining to COVID-19. The pools will operate with limited capacity to maintain physical distance with restricted swim sessions, with cleaning/disinfection between sessions.
COVID-19 Guidelines & Recommendations
- MDH Order No. 2020-06-10-03 (“Amended Directive and Order Regarding Swimming Pools”). All pool operators are directed to follow all applicable federal guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on this subject and best practice recommendations from the relevant national pool organizations.
- Face coverings should still be worn (out of the water only) if 6ft social distancing cannot be maintained per the City of Frederick’s Risk, Safety, and Compliance Department.
- COVID-19 signage is required and will be posted throughout the pool areas.
- Cleaning/ disinfecting plan is required with the use of EPA approved disinfectant.
- CDC recommendations emphasized by Frederick County Health Department:
- Staff and patrons should stay at least 6 feet apart both in and out of the water
- Limited occupancy and staggered use of shared spaces will be implemented; please follow on-site instructions
- Locker rooms / Bathrooms
- Staff offices
- Separate Entries and Exits will be marked.
- Limit activities, such as Eating & Drinking (on dry land) that require removal of cloth masks.
- Please arrive “swim” ready, having already taken a shower and dressed with bathing suits already on.
- Limit any nonessential visitors, volunteers, and activities involving external groups or organizations.
- Carpool only with people they live with to reduce exposure, if possible.